Would You Swim with Thousands of JellyFish?

Everyday, people embark on a steep hike up and over a rocky limestone path to JellyFish Lake in the Beaufitul Republic of Palau. Apparently this was brought to the limelight when it was featured in the Survivor Palau season.

The Palau Visitor's Authority claims that its an attraction most can only dream of doing. This daring and unusual phenomena, Jellyfish Lake, departs radically from convention; for it is an enclosed body of water wherein - over the course of a millennia - resident jellyfish have completely lost their sting because they have not had to fight off predators. Instead, they spend their days in privileged leisure, pulsating gently from one side of the lake to the other while catching the sun's rays and farming their own food supply of algae.
Now when I researched it, I figured that people were wearing tough wetsuits. But NOOOOO, they were snorkeling around in their normal swimsuits, like it was nothing. This is too cool & definately a great adventure that I have added to my list. I thought it was the greatest thing ever when I went to the Cayman Islands & swam with the sting rays, so I can't imagine how awesome this will be.
Now the Republic of Palau is an island nation in the Pacific Ocean, some 500 miles (800 km) east of the Philippines and 2000 miles (3200 km) south of Tokyo. The 16 state Island Nation enjoys a tropical climate all year round with an annual mean temperature of 82 °F (27 °C). Rainfall can occur throughout the year, averaging a total of 150 inches (3,800 mm). The average humidity over the course of the year is 82%, and although rain falls more frequently between July and October, there is still much sunshine. Typhoons are rare, as Palau is outside the main typhoon zone. Palau was ranked and listed by CEDAM International as the ranking Number 1 Underwater Wonder of the World out of the seven underwater wonders. By looking at the photo below, its obvious why.

8 comments:

Azure Accessories

See I'm a gypsy at heart...I would love to travel to such a beautiful place...I can't snorkel or dive as I have a motion/balance problem but I love the sun, sand, and water! Cheers

Eric Gamble

I can definately snorkel & even Snuba, however, with all of those JellyFish at the "Lake", I would share your motion/Balance problems at first. I think my natural instincts would kick in to evade, elude, and basically FREAK OUT!!!....haha...thanks for the comments and for all reading this, AZURE ISLAND DESIGNS HAS BEAUTIFUL JEWELRY!!!! Click on her link and check it out!!!

Lyndon

I'd do many things, but this isn't one of them. Just a little to creepy and vacations should relax you.

Not freak you out and probably send you to the emergency room (From freaking out underwater, not the Jellyfish)

Eric Gamble

That maybe very true, can you imagine.....
- "Hey did you hear that the Travel Beggar died!!!"
- "No What Happened?"
- "Well, he went swimming in an entire lake of Jellyfish but died not from the jellies but from freakin out!"

Wendy

Gorgeous pic of the jellyfish. Did you take that yourself?

Eric Gamble

no..at least not yet i havent. If I took it, It would probably be all blurry from me FREAKING OUT!!! I researched it online cause it was brought to my attention by a friend.

Dan McCarthy

Eric -
I like your new travel blog. I subscribed and will be back. all the best to you.

Anonymous

i been there alot of times with tourist. they get scared but once they touch them and see them they start having fun swimming with them.

Blogger template 'Greenich' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Jump to TOP